Welcome to The Writer's Terrace - a haven for writers.

The Writer's Terrace (formerly known as The Written Word) is a haven for writers to come and share the expression of their hearts in our little "terraced garden" of women and friends. We don't have deadlines or assignments, just the opportunity to share the things we write.

We would love to have you join us and share your writing. Feel free to speak and write from the heart in whatever form you desire, but please no offensive language. Stories, poetry, free-write, letters, whimsical - anything that takes your fancy.

If you would like to join us please go to The Writer's Terrace Yahoo Group and fill out the application.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Time Spent Reminiscing by Linda


Time Spent Reminiscing

Today I found a box of photographs
Stored with other treasured things,
I sat down to sort through them
And time was given wings.

Photographs of my family ~
A careful pensive look to see
If that was my Great Grandmother
Or could it be really me?

My Father often told me
That I resembled her - the walk, the talk the looks,
The love of words and writing
And very special books.

The dark hair and eyes
The dimples and determined jaw,
I spent a long time then moved on
Because there was so much more.

My Great Grandfather - a quiet gentle soul
A man who loved me dearly.
He shared his love of horses
I can see it all so clearly.

He drove a team of Clydesdales
And went out delivering bread.
I have so many memories of him
Stored within my head.

As a tiny tot he would take me with him
And I would sit next to him with pride.
The smile upon his face
Showed joy he could not hide.

He let me hold the reins a while
And those dear great creatures knew
That they had a novice driving them
And exactly what to do.

When he bedded them down for the night
I would sleep upon the straw
These magnificent animals would step over me
And quietly watch the door.

Three hours soon passed - so many memories
In such a tiny treasure chest.
I shall come back another day
To relive memories of the very best.

© Linda J. Vaughan
22nd June 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment