Welcome to The Writer's Terrace - a haven for writers.

The Writer's Terrace (formerly known as The Written Word) is a haven for writers to come and share the expression of their hearts in our little "terraced garden" of women and friends. We don't have deadlines or assignments, just the opportunity to share the things we write.

We would love to have you join us and share your writing. Feel free to speak and write from the heart in whatever form you desire, but please no offensive language. Stories, poetry, free-write, letters, whimsical - anything that takes your fancy.

If you would like to join us please go to The Writer's Terrace Yahoo Group and fill out the application.

Friday, May 15, 2009

I Am by Joanne

I Am

 
I am the granddaughter of Italian immigrants.
They came from across the great sea
Braving trials so difficult and imminent
So that their children could be born free.


I Am


The daughter of my parents, oldest of four
In the shadow of the elders I was born and bred.
As I grew up in two cultures I secretly deplored
How youth preferred temporal frivolities instead. 


I Am


Now living in the Old World that my elders left behind;
With my family I am here to stay and live my life.
It’s back to the beginnings, back to the basics unrefined,
Intertwining cultures I am blending as mother and wife.
 

I Am

 
At the autumn of my years I suddenly realize that time
Speeding quickly by is nothing compared to the pure love
That blossomed all these years for all those I call mine.
Eternal and free, come fly away with me, like a pure white dove. 

© Joanne Pons
14 May 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment