Welcome to The Writer's Terrace - a haven for writers.

The Writer's Terrace (formerly known as The Written Word) is a haven for writers to come and share the expression of their hearts in our little "terraced garden" of women and friends. We don't have deadlines or assignments, just the opportunity to share the things we write.

We would love to have you join us and share your writing. Feel free to speak and write from the heart in whatever form you desire, but please no offensive language. Stories, poetry, free-write, letters, whimsical - anything that takes your fancy.

If you would like to join us please go to The Writer's Terrace Yahoo Group and fill out the application.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I Am From by Debra


I Am From

I am from the vineyards of Alsace, from the forests of Britain, the fields of County Cork and the tee pees of North America.
 
I am from a white farmhouse atop a hill, rolling pastures, deep woods, the smell of hay and manure.
I am from Snapdragon, Tiger Lily and tall, leafy trees.
 
I am from farmers wise in the ways of the earth and judges versed in the law. 
I am from Countremans, Armacosts, Shiveleys and Gaffins who believed in hard work, God, justice and rain.
 
I am from generations of men and women who tilled the earth and asked no man for aid.
I am from “He who will not work, neither shall he eat,” said with stern face framing sparkling, loving eyes.
 
I am from Baptists and Quakers: “Thou shalt not kill, covet, lie, steal.” 
I am from a small steepled church nestled within the hills of Southern Ohio.
 
I am from pastures, lowing cattle and salt licks. 
I am from fields shooting forth tobacco plants, tall wheat, alfalfa. 
 
I am from hay-filled barns, three legged stools and tall, shiny cans redolent with the scent of fresh, warm milk. 
I am from the garden: ripe tomatoes and corn, green beans and onions.
 
I am from the spring house, cool and refreshing on a hot summer day, filled with rich cream, cheeses, and newly churned butter.
 
I am from a mother who walked away in search of a better life and found heartache instead.
 
I am from the south end: rag tag houses falling down, gaunt children staring from sagging front porches.
 
I am from a Catholic church built tall: gilded and marbled, smelling of incense. 
 I am from rosaries and chalices. 
I am from Ave Maria.
I am from God.
 
***
 
I am from the loneliness of an abandoned child, born to poverty and neglect.
I am from a race of strong women who refused to be held down, who would not say yes when they meant no.
 
I am from a country torn by assassination, Viet Nam and the Atomic Bomb.
I am from the flashing lights, the music, the throbbing beat of disco. 
I am from the deliciousness of a soul reborn, dancing with arms uplifted.
 
I am from the wedding; the chapel flower-laden; the organ pealing forth a song of promise.
I am from adoption agencies: babies lost; hopes crushed; tears shed.
 
I am from the joy of motherhood.
 
I am from the nursery: powder-scented days of Nursery Nirvana; baby lotion and Similac; somnolent dawns and dreamy dusks.
I am from the world of anomalies: beautiful baby face: cleft lip and palate.  Can no one else see his beauty?
 
I am from the hospital room.  Sweet baby held close: must keep safe; must alleviate the pain; must do this for him.
 
I am from an author long dead:  poems collected in a cigar box.  Pete Seager singing Grandpa’s words. 
 I am from a grandfather never met, yet so close to my heart.
 
I am from the printed page; goals reached; dreams attained. 
 
I am from the story told and the story read.
 
I am from many things.
 
I am from my experiences.
 
I am from the Universe.
 
 
©2007 Debra Shiveley Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment